Birds, especially pigeons, are a growing problem in cities. The main problem is bird droppings. This article explains how to prevent bird droppings and how to clean them safely.
Bird Droppings. Not Only an Aesthetic Problem. Also a Health Risk
One of the main problems that customers who contact BirdGard Iberia have is the dirt caused by bird droppings. Problems on restaurant terraces, balconies, building facades, swimming pools, boats, cars, public parks… The list is endless…
No one likes to see an area stained with bird droppings. And the problem is not just aesthetic. If there is a large amount of bird droppings, it can also be a health risk.
Bird droppings are very acidic (with a pH between 3.5 and 4.5). This makes them highly corrosive, easily staining fabrics and even eating away at boat and car paint, urban material, or building facades.
In addition to this aesthetic problem, there is also a health risk. Bird droppings contain fungi, bacteria, and other organisms that can transmit diseases, such as histoplasmosis. Therefore, it is important to clean bird droppings as soon as possible. Avoid allowing large amounts of bird droppings to accumulate. And above all, avoid letting bird droppings dry out, which would facilitate contagion.
Adequate cleaning of bird droppings is essential. Not only to avoid aesthetic problems or possible transmission of diseases. But also to increase the effectiveness of any bird control method that we put into action.
Birds tend to return to places where they have left their smell. Thus, if we eliminate any trace of their presence, we will increase the effectiveness of bird deterrents, whether they are:
- Bird repellers by sound
- Bird repellers by ultrasound
- Visual bird repellents
- Solutions that prevent bird perching
However, it is important to take certain precautions when cleaning the bird droppings area.
Recommendations for Safely and Effectively Cleaning Bird Droppings
As previously mentioned, bird droppings can be dangerous to your health. When removing pigeon or other bird droppings, it is essential to have the proper protective gear:
- Plastic gloves.
- A mask and protective eyewear if there is a large amount of bird droppings.
- In severe cases, to avoid any risk and ensure safety, it is best to contact professional disinfection services who are fully equipped with appropriate protective clothing and masks.
Use a disinfectant cleaner to remove the waste. Most products on the market work well for small amounts of bird droppings. Add water to dry droppings to prevent them from sticking. There are scented disinfectants that eliminate the odor.
For more severe cases, pet stores may carry specific cleaning products that kill bacteria, fungi, and other organisms in bird droppings.
Cleaning Completed. Now, how to prevent birds from returning?
Once you have completed the cleaning, you will want to make sure that you have definitively solved your bird problem. In fact, before starting the cleaning task, we recommend that you have a bird control system ready. So that you can install it immediately after finishing the cleaning, and thus avoid the situation from happening again.
To definitively solve the problem of bird droppings, an effective bird repellent is necessary. We recommend the article “I have problems with birds, but what model of bird repellent do I need?” to help you select the most appropriate bird repellent for your case.
Below are links to other articles that we trust will be of interest to you to eliminate the problems caused by bird droppings:
- This article offers good advice on how to scare pigeons from balconies, buildings, farms…
- The best solutions to repel sparrows, seagulls, magpies…
- Customer Reference – Inasur – Industria Avícola Sureña S.L. explains the problems they had with birds entering one of their warehouses and how they solved them.
- Customer Reference – Lourdes from Pamplona shares her experience with the “AviFin Líquido” anti-pigeon repellent to prevent pigeons from perching on windows.
- Problems with pigeons perching on the antenna? Discover a good solution: the Eolo Scarecrow for Antennas.
If you prefer to have a specialist evaluate your case for free and advise you on the most suitable bird control method for your situation, you can contact BirdGard Iberia at +34 91 489 10 49 or send a message.