In this article, we discuss one of the most common and also one of the most challenging issues to address: how to repel pigeons.
It’s essential to keep in mind that pigeons are very stubborn birds, and therefore they are not easy to deter. From our experience, there are no immediate and miraculous solutions to the problem of how to repel pigeons. However, by combining the appropriate bird control methods and consistent pressure, good results can be achieved.
Our answer to the question of how to repel pigeons is… “The most suitable method for deterring pigeons depends on the specific situation we are facing”. Therefore, in this article, we will learn:
- How to repel pigeons IN LARGE outdoor areas. For instance, in: industrial areas, crops, airports, solar parks, port areas, swimming pools, gardens… with the most suitable control methods:
- What solutions exist to repel pigeons IN CRITICAL SPOTS. For example, on: building ledges, window sills, balconies, television antennas… using products like:
- AviFin Liquid – Pigeon Repellent
- Bird Repeller for TV aerials
- Bird Repeller for Roof: Prevents pigeons from perching on roofs, air conditioning units, infinity pools, and more
- Pigeon and Bird Repeller – WK0020
- How to repel pigeons in COVERED OR SEMI-COVERED AREAS. For example: warehouses, storage facilities, garages… with the following solutions:
At the end of this article, we present some customer references who we have helped solve their pigeon problems.
How to Repel Pigeons in Large Outdoor Areas
If you need to repel pigeons in large outdoor areas, such as industrial zones, crops, airports, gardens, solar parks, port areas… we recommend using:
- Preferably, a bioacoustic pigeon repeller, specifically designed for pigeons, that operates using audible sounds.
- Alternatively, a scarecrow hawk that realistically and actively simulates a hawk in flight.
- We do not recommend using an ultrasonic pigeon deterrent, as it will not be effective in the long term.
Bioacoustic Pigeon Repeller
From our experience, the best Bioacoustic Pigeon Repellers are the Bird Gard bird repellers.
The most suitable Bird Gard Pigeon Repeller model will depend on the area you need to protect against pigeons. We explain:
- To repel pigeons in areas of less than 6,000 m2 (64,583 ft2) – you will need the BirdGard Pro Pigeon Repeller, which includes a built-in speaker.
- Choose the BirdGard Pro Plus Pigeon Repeller, which includes two external speakers, to protect areas between 6,000 and 12,000 m2 (64,583 and 129,167 ft2) from pigeons.
- To repel pigeons in very large areas between 12,000 and 24,000 m2 (129,167 and 258,334 ft2) – we recommend either the BirdGard Super Pro Pigeon Repeller or the Bioacoustic and Ultrasonic BroadBand Pro. Both models come with four external speakers.
- And to repel pigeons in areas of up to 12 hectares (29.7 acres) – you will need the BirdGard Super Pro Amp model, which includes a tower of 20 external speakers providing 360º coverage against pigeons in all directions.
In any of these cases, you will receive your repeller configured with a specific chip for deterring pigeons: chip #35. This chip includes sounds that, after more than 25 years of experience, have been proven to be the most effective for deterring pigeons: cries of birds of prey (hawks, eagles, sparrowhawks…) and electronic harassment sounds, specifically designed to annoy pigeons and ultimately drive them away from the area.
The main advantages and disadvantages of a bioacustic pigeon repeller are:
- Advantage: their effectiveness. Bird Gard bioacustic repellers are effective solutions for deterring pigeons.
- Disadvantage: potential noise disturbance. Bird Gard bioacoustic repellers emit audible sounds that people can hear, which may cause noise disturbance.
Hawk Scarecrow – Eolo
If using a sonic-based pigeon repeller is not viable in the area to be protected from pigeons due to the noise disturbance it generates, we recommend installing Hawk Scarecrows.
Hawk Scarecrows realistically simulate the flight of a hawk. In fact, if one sees them from a distance, they might think there are actual hawks flying in the area. Since hawks are predators of pigeons, when pigeons see them, they fear their presence and stay away.
Each hawk scarecrow provides coverage of approximately 700 to 1200 square meters.
The main advantages and disadvantages of Hawk Scarecrows for deterring pigeons are:
- Advantage: no noise disturbance. They also have minimal visual disturbance, blending well with the environment and not generating glare…
- Disadvantage: less effective than Bird Gard sonic-based pigeon repellers.
To learn more about how these Hawk Scarecrows work and how to achieve maximum effectiveness, we recommend the article “Scarecrow Hawk – Discover the keys to its operation”
We do not recommend using an ultrasonic repeller for pigeons
We do not recommend using an ultrasonic repeller for outdoor pigeon control. Ultrasounds are more effective for deterring birds with very high hearing capacities, such as swallows or bats. However, for deterring pigeons, ultrasonic repellers are not effective in the long term. They may cause slight discomfort at first, but it is usually not enough, and pigeons eventually get used to it. Be wary of anyone recommending an ultrasonic repeller as the solution for outdoor pigeon control. Or ask for product return guarantees if the promised results are not achieved.
How to repel pigeons in critical areas
If you need to prevent pigeons from landing in specific areas, such as window sills, cornices, balcony railings, television antennas… then we recommend the following solutions:
- Avifin Gel -Bird Repellent Gel
- AviFin Liquid – Pigeon Repellent
- Bird Repeller for TV aerials
- Bird Repeller fo Roof: Prevents pigeons from landing on roofs, air conditioning units, etc.
- WK0020 Pigeon and Bird Repeller
Avifin Gel – Bird Repellent Gel
The Avifin Gel – Bird Repellent Gel has a silicone texture that is very unpleasant for pigeons when they touch it with their feet to land in the area where we have applied it. That’s why they take flight and do not try to land in the area again. It is a product based on natural extracts. It does not harm the environment and does not cause any harm to pigeons. It is very effective in preventing pigeons from landing in the area where it is applied: balconies, cornices, window sills… It usually lasts between two to four years outdoors. It should be applied with a silicone gun.
AviFin Liquid – Pigeon Repellent Spray
The AviFin Liquid – Pigeon Repellent Spray is slightly less effective than the previously mentioned solution for preventing pigeons from landing or nesting in critical areas: AviFin Gel – Bird Repellent Gel. However, it has the advantage of being completely transparent and very easy to apply.
Simply spray the AviFin Liquid Pigeon Repellent on the surface you want to protect from pigeons: windows, cornices…
The key to its effectiveness is to be generous in its application. In other words, do not skimp on the product. And reapply every two or three days.
If you want to learn more about this product, we recommend the article:
- Success Story: Lourdes shares her experience with AviFin Liquid Pigeon Control Spray to prevent pigeons from landing on the windows of her home in Pamplona
Eolo Antenna: Bird Repeller for TV aerials
TV antennas on rooftops are often pigeons’ favorite perching spots, as they offer the highest point on the building. The problem is that the area just below the antenna gets filled with pigeon droppings.
Without a doubt, the best solution to prevent pigeons from landing on TV antennas of buildings is the Eolo Bird Repeller for TV aerials.
It is a very robust product made in Spain. It comes with everything needed to install it on the antenna. The installation is simple and does not cause any interference with the antenna.
Like most great solutions, it is a very simple one. It consists of a weather vane with two rotating arms. It only requires a breeze to rotate. The spinning blades prevent pigeons from landing on the antenna.
If you want to know more about this product, we recommend the article:
Bird Repeller for Roof: Prevents pigeons from landing on roofs, air conditioning units, and more…
The Eolo -Bird Repeller for Roof is a very similar product to the Eolo Bird Repeller for TV aerials. It consists of a weather vane with arms that rotate with the wind, preventing pigeons from perching in the area where it is installed.
Unlike the Eolo Bird Repeller for TV aerials, which is specifically designed to be installed on any TV antenna, the Eolo Roof is designed to be installed on roofs, coverings, air conditioning units, overflow pool edges, and more.
The arms of the Eolo Bird Repeller for Roof have a wingspan of 1.85 meters in diameter, providing an approximate coverage of 2.5 m2. It is a very robust product made in Spain. It is easy to install with screws or industrial adhesive or by using one of the different StopGull Air supports, which also work for this product.
Pigeon and Bird Repeller WK0020
The Pigeon and Bird Repeller – WK0020, by Weitech is a very affordable solution, but please note that its effectiveness is more limited.
It must be installed in a location protected from rain. It operates using ultrasound and sounds of various frequencies and adjustable intensity to repel pigeons. The device may be audible to people and covers an area of up to 40 m2.
If you are interested in this product, we recommend combining it with other deterrents, such as holographic tapes, scare balloons, or anti-pigeon sprays and gels.
How to Repel Pigeons in Covered or Semi-Covered Areas
To deter pigeons from covered or semi-covered areas, such as the interior of a warehouse, a storage facility, etc., we recommend:
- The bioacoustic Bird Gard repellers that we have described earlier.
- An interior laser deterrent, like the Bird Lazzzer.
Indoor Laser Deterrent Bird Lazzzer
The Bird Lazzzer is an automatic laser deterrent. It is a projector installed at a height that emits green 3B laser beams, sweeping horizontally and vertically.
It provides coverage of about 500 m2 and is very effective at deterring pigeons indoors. Pigeons perceive the laser as if it were a stick approaching them, causing them to take flight.
The main advantages and disadvantages of the Bird Lazzzer Laser Deterrent for deterring pigeons inside a warehouse, factory, storage facility, etc. are:
- Advantage: it does not generate any acoustic disturbance.
- Disadvantage: it is very effective in areas where the laser hits, preventing pigeons from perching or nesting in those areas. However, if there are areas where the laser does not hit, those areas will have no coverage.
If you want to know more about this product, we recommend the following article:
- Embalatges Serdá shares their experience with the Bird Lazzer indoor and semi-covered bird laser deterrent
How to Repel Pigeons – Customer References
- Valentín Barroso, director of ArqueoCanaria, explains how they managed to repel pigeons from the Canarian archaeological site “Cenobio del Valerón”, thanks to the bioacoustic and ultrasonic BroadBand Pro repeller, combined with the Eolo Hawk Scarecrow Falcon and AviFin Gel.
- Inasur – Industria Avícola Sureña S.L. explains the problems they had with birds entering one of their warehouses and how they solved them with Bird Gard bioacoustic repellers combined with Eolo Hawk Scarecrow kites.
- Lourdes, from Pamplona, shares her experience with the anti-pigeon repellent “AviFin Liquid”, to prevent pigeons from perching on her windows.
Reference – How to Repel Pigeons in a Cheese Factory in Cuenca
Recently, the manager of a cheese factory in Cuenca (Spain) contacted us. He explained that he had a serious problem with pigeons perching on the roof of his factory. The roof has an approximate surface area of 600 m2. To solve his problem, we are going to send him the BirdGard Pro #35 bioacoustic pigeon repeller.
We have warned him that when he puts the equipment into operation, he should not be surprised if the pigeons initially seem unaffected by the sounds of the BirdGard pigeon repeller. This is normal behavior. As we have mentioned, pigeons are very stubborn birds. Constant pressure on them is necessary for them to eventually feel bothered and leave the area. It can take between 4 and 6 weeks to see results. But the results do come, and the pigeons end up leaving the area.
We have also warned him that it is important to consider that when the pigeon infestation is very large – as was the case in this cheese factory where more than 300 pigeons perch on the roof – it is unlikely that we will deter 100% of the pigeon population. Some pigeons – usually older individuals – will continue to stay in the area. However, the vast majority will leave, taking with them the problems they cause, which the factory manager mentioned today:
- serious cleanliness issues
- potential sanitary problems
- corrosion of facades
- clogged drains when dead pigeons fall into them…
Do you need more information on how to repel pigeons?
- Pigeon and dove infestations are an increasingly common problem in our cities. Discover which species of pigeons and doves are most prevalent in urban areas.
- Pigeon droppings are an aesthetic and health problem. This article explains how to prevent pigeon droppings and how to clean them.
We hope that this article on how to repel pigeons has been useful to you. You can find all the recommended products in this article at the BirdGard Iberia online store.
If you have any additional questions or are unsure which solution to apply in your case, do not hesitate to contact BirdGard Iberia. One of our experts will advise you on the best solution for your specific situation.