Pigeon repellent gel is designed to prevent pigeons from perching or nesting in the areas where it is applied. Pigeon repellent gels have been developed as an alternative to typical pigeon spikes. They are an effective, inexpensive, easy-to-apply solution that doesn’t harm birds. In this article, we’ll explain everything you need to know about these products.
- How does a pigeon repellent gel work?
- Are pigeon repellent gels natural products? What is their active ingredient?
- What birds does AviFin Gel repel? Does it work on other birds besides pigeons?
- Is pigeon repellent gel really effective?
- Does it harm birds?
- Is it dangerous to humans?
- When should you use a bird repellent gel?
- How should it be applied?
- How many meters does one tube of AviFin Gel cover?
- What color are pigeon repellent gels? Are they visible?
- How long does it last?
- What temperatures can it withstand?
- How to remove it?
- What are the pros and cons of pigeon repellent gel?
- Is it advisable to combine Bird Repellent Gel with other products?
- Why is it worth buying AntiPalomas Gel from BirdGard Iberia?
How does a Pigeon Repellent Gel work?
Pigeon repellent gel works exclusively on contact. When pigeons attempt to perch in the area where the repellent gel has been applied, they touch it with their feet and immediately take flight.
The pigeon repellent gel has a very sticky texture. Pigeons feel as if they are going to get trapped, experience an unpleasant sensation, and avoid perching in that area again.
Are Pigeon Repellent Gels natural products? What is their active ingredient?
There are various types of pigeon repellent gels on the market, and not all of them are natural products. In general, pigeon repellent gels are grouped into two categories, based on their active ingredient:
- Pigeon repellent gels with polybutene as their active ingredient, a highly sticky petrochemical substance. These are not natural products.
- Pigeon repellent gels with geraniol and pepper as active ingredients, which are natural and safe. These pigeon repellent gels do not contain polybutene.
At BirdGard Iberia, we do not sell polybutene-based pigeon repellent gels. The pigeon repellent gel we offer is “AviFin Gel“, which is based on natural substances. Therefore, the answers to the following questions are specific to our pigeon repellent gel “AviFin Gel”.
What birds does AviFin Gel repel? Does it work for other birds besides pigeons?
AviFin pigeon repellent gel works not only for pigeons but also for sparrows, magpies, blackbirds, crows… and even for preventing swallow nests. The important thing is that the birds touch the repellent gel when trying to perch in the area.
Is Pigeon Repellent Gel really effective?
Yes, AviFin Gel is very effective in preventing birds from perching and even in stopping swallow nests. By following the installation recommendations provided by BirdGard Iberia along with the product, the pigeon repellent gel yields excellent results. The key is to apply as many gel lines as necessary, depending on the width of the surface to be protected.
Does pigeon repellent gel harm birds?
No. AviFin pigeon repellent gel does not harm birds. When birds touch AviFin Gel, they take flight because they experience an unpleasant sensation. However, they do not get stuck or trapped, and it does not harm them in any way.
Is AviFin Gel pigeon repellent dangerous for people?
No. AviFin pigeon repellent gel is not classified as dangerous. It can be used by both bird control professionals and individuals. It is advisable to keep it out of the reach of children.
When should you use a bird repellent gel?
If you need to deter birds from a large area, bird repellent gels are not the solution for your situation. In those cases, you should consider other solutions such as bioacoustic bird repellents, laser deterrents, or visual bird deterrents.
Bird repellent gels are designed to prevent birds from perching on specific points of a building, whether it’s a residential home, historic monument, shopping center, factory, or office building.
Birds tend to perch on the same spots on buildings: ledges, window sills, eaves, beams… Anti-pigeon gel prevents birds from perching on these critical points of the building. Therefore, the anti-pigeon gel is recommended, among others, for the following situations:
- Prevent pigeons from perching on windows.
- Scare pigeons off balconies.
- Keep birds from perching on urban furniture: signs, lampposts, security cameras.
How should the Anti-Pigeon Gel be applied?
Applying the Anti-Pigeon Gel is quite simple. However, it’s crucial to follow a series of steps prior to installation for maximum effectiveness. Here’s what you need to do:
- Remove food and water sources. Birds, like people, feel more comfortable where food and water are abundant and easily accessible. Whenever possible, remove nearby food and water sources.
- Clean the area. Birds will try to stay in the area if they feel it belongs to them. That is, they will want to stay if the area still contains their nests, remains, feathers, droppings… Before applying the bird repellent gel, thoroughly clean the area to create a sterile environment that the birds don’t feel belongs to them. When cleaning, remember to take the appropriate measures to avoid health risks. Also, keep in mind that some bird species are protected and you will need to request authorization from the local authority before removing their nests.
- Prepare the materials. Measure the width and length of the area to be protected to calculate the necessary coverage and the number of anti-pigeon gel tubes you will need.
- Apply the anti-pigeon gel to a clean and thoroughly dry surface. You will need a silicone gun for this. Apply AviFin Gel to all critical points where birds land. You can apply the gel directly onto the surface in lines or zigzags, making sure that the bird, when trying to land, touches the AviFin gel with one of its feet. Apply it as follows:
- On surfaces less than 10 cm (4 inches) wide, apply a bead of gel from the outer edge.
- On surfaces between 10 – 20 cm (4 – 8 inches) wide, apply two beads of gel separated by approximately 5 cm (2 inches), starting about 2.5 cm (1 inch) from the outer edge.
- On wider surfaces, apply three or more beads, spacing each bead approximately 5 cm (2 inches) from the previous one.
Can I use AviFin Gel to prevent swallow nests?
Yes. If you plan to use AviFin Gel to prevent swallow nests, apply one or two beads of gel on the wall, several centimeters below the angle with the ceiling, so they are approximately in the center of the old nests. Remember that swallows are protected birds and you will need permission to remove their nests once they have abandoned them.
How many meters does one tube of AviFin Gel cover?
A tube of AviFin Anti-Pigeon Gel covers approximately 8 to 10 linear meters (26 to 33 feet) of surface. A cartridge contains 310 ml of product. Keep in mind that if the surface is wide, you will need to apply several lines of AviFin gel, ensuring that birds touch the gel when trying to land.
What color are pigeon repellent gels? Are they visible?
There are transparent anti-pigeon gels, but these are usually made from polybutene, which is not natural. AviFin Gel anti-pigeon gel has a yellowish-brown color, typical of its active ingredient (geraniol).
Once the gel is applied to a cornice, lamppost, or window ledge, it is invisible from below, as it barely protrudes from the surface where it is placed, unlike anti-pigeon spikes.
How long does it last?
The longevity of AviFin gel depends on whether it is used outdoors or indoors. Outdoors, it can last up to 2 years. Indoors or in semi-enclosed areas, it can last up to 4 years.
What temperatures can it withstand?
Anti-pigeon gels maintain their properties in both cold and very warm environments. In general, they maintain their sticky effect at temperatures ranging from -9ºC to 90ºC.
How to remove it?
It can be easily removed. Simply clean the surface with water and soap.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Anti-Pigeon Gel?
- Easy to use.
- Quick application.
- Product based on natural substances.
- Does not harm birds or the environment.
- Compared to spikes, it is much more aesthetically pleasing. Practically invisible.
- Easily removable.
- No maintenance required.
- Not permanent.
- Requires reapplication after its useful life.
- Designed to cover critical points. Not suitable for covering large areas of land.
Is it advisable to combine Bird Repellent Gel with other products?
The bird repellent gel works well with the Hawk Scarecrow – Eolo, which is a visual deterrent that prevents birds from approaching the area you want to protect. Many times, the scarecrow hawk minimizes the bird problem in the area to be protected so much that you can then save on the number of anti-pigeon gel cartridges you will need. The anti-pigeon gel will help you reinforce critical points and prevent birds from perching on those points.
If you have any doubts, it is best to consult with BirdGard Iberia so that they can recommend the best products for your specific bird problem.
Why is it worth buying Anti-Pigeon Gel from BirdGard Iberia?
Most of our customers choose the pigeon repellent gel because it is a natural, economical, very easy-to-apply solution that does not harm birds in any way.
At BirdGard Iberia, we are specialists in deterrents. So, we not only provide you with the best anti-pigeon gel, but also offer personalized and free advice on where and how to install it. We also explain the best complements to the gel to solve your bird problem in the most economical and effective way. If you have any problems, we are by your side to support you throughout the process.