This article explains how to get rid of cormorants using the Bird Gard Super Pro PA4 anti-cormorant deterrent.
According to surveys, cormorant populations have been rapidly increasing in recent years. Some now consider the cormorant as an invasive species.
Cormorants cause serious problems, both economically and in terms of public health, to the fishing industry: fishing preserves, fish farms, yacht clubs, etc.
Cormorant, an invasive species
According to certain European sources, the cormorant population has multiplied by 23 in the past 35 years. This significant increase has led many to consider the cormorant as an invasive species.
Cormorants are partially migratory birds that come to Spain during the cold winter months from Northern Europe. Cormorants are excellent fishermen. The significant increase in their population is causing serious problems for fishermen, fish farms, fishing preserves, yacht clubs, etc.
How to Get Rid of Cormorants: Anti-Cormorant Bird Gard Super Pro PA4
The most effective solution to get rid of cormorants is the Bird Gard Super Pro PA4 anti-cormorant device. In the BirdGard Iberia online store, you can read all the features of this equipment, download the instruction manual, and more.
Next, we will provide you with some usage tips on how to operate the Bird Gard Super Pro PA4 to get rid of cormorants.
Usage Tips to Get Rid of Cormorants
Getting rid of cormorants is not an easy task. By using the Anti-Cormorant Bird Gard Super Pro PA4, good results can be achieved, but it is necessary to be consistent, persistent, and active in using the equipment. Especially in the beginning, until the cormorants leave the area. Therefore, in the beginning:
- It is crucial to have the equipment at maximum volume
- Operate it 24 hours a day
- It is recommended to clean the area you want to protect from droppings, feathers, nests (if allowed in the area for these birds), and any other debris that indicates the presence of cormorants in the area
- Each speaker of the Bird Gard Super Pro PA4 provides coverage of 6000 square meters: 100 meters long by about 60 meters wide. It is essential to fully cover the area you want to protect. By default, the Bird Gard Super Pro PA4 includes one speaker, but remember that if needed, you can add 3 additional speakers. In other words, each device can operate with a maximum of 4 speakers.
- Place the speakers as close as possible to the area where the cormorants are, so that the sound impacts them as much as possible
- We recommend the following configuration for the 5 operation mode switches:
- Switch Setting 1 – OFF
- Switch Setting 2 – ON (i.e., Medium Silence Interval between sounds)
- Switch Setting 3 – OFF
- Switch Setting 4 – OFF (i.e., 24-hour operation)
- Switch Setting 5 – ON (i.e., Random Mode operation to ensure that the emitted sounds are always different and prevent habituation by the cormorants)
Anti-Cormorant Solutions Not Recommended
Ultrasonic Devices for Cormorants
Contrary to what many people think, ultrasonic devices are not effective in scaring away cormorants. There are several reasons for this:
- Cormorants are not affected by the discomfort caused by ultrasonic sounds
- Ultrasonic deterrents have a small coverage range (around 350 square meters), while in fish farms, yacht clubs, lakes, rivers, and fishing preserves, a coverage area of several hectares is typically needed for an anti-cormorant solution
- Ultrasonic devices are more effective in semi-enclosed environments and lose efficiency when used outdoors
Anti-Cormorant Scarecrow Figures
We also do not recommend relying solely on visual bird deterrents as the only solution to get rid of cormorants.
However, it is recommended to use a visual bird deterrent as a complement to the Bird Gard Super Pro PA4 to get rid of cormorants.
- Visual bird deterrents simulate the presence of a predator in the area (e.g., a hawk, an owl…)
- Among all the available visual bird deterrents, we recommend the Flying Falcon as the best complement to the Bird Gard Super Pro PA4 to repel cormorants.
- If you want more information about this Flying Falcon, don’t miss the article “Hawk Scarecrow – Discover the Key to Its Operation“.
Scare cannons emit loud explosive sounds to scare birds. The main problems with scare cannons are:
- The scare cannon may scare the cormorant when it hears the explosion, but when the sound disappears, the cormorant returns to the area
- As the same explosions are repeated at regular intervals, the cormorants become accustomed to them and they become ineffective
The difference between scare cannons to get rid of cormorants and the Bird Gard Super Pro PA4 anti-cormorant device is that the latter emits distress and danger calls specific to cormorants, appealing to their deepest survival instincts.
When cormorants hear distress and danger calls from other cormorants, they know that there is a threat in the area and they move away. In addition, the Bird Gard Super Pro PA4 anti-cormorant device continuously varies the sounds it emits. The sounds are emitted in a random order, at different frequencies, and from different speakers, preventing cormorants from getting accustomed to them.
Want to Learn More about Getting Rid of Cormorants?
In that case, we recommend reading the article “Cormorants, a Plague for Fishermen”.